Established “Radiation Emergency Medicine Educational Research Facility”
Renamed “Institute of Radiation Emergency Medicine”
April 2020 Department reorganization
Purpose of the Establishment
In addition to the educational support in each faculties and graduate schools, and to further promote basic research in radiation emergency medicine at Hirosaki University, this institute has been established in order to develop unprecedented approaches, such as health management in nuclear facilities and medical facilities for radiation exposure throughout all of Japan and train expert human resources who can respond to accidents of nuclear exposure in case of an emergency.
The Institute of Radiation Emergency Medicine consists of four departments; Radiation Biology, Radiation Physics, Radiation Chemistry, and Radiation Emergency Medicine. Research in the environmental dynamics of radionuclides, estimation of external and internal radiation doses, development of new analysis methods for radionuclides, chromosome analysis for estimation of radiation dose, elucidation of the genetic mechanism in carcinogenesis, and development of radiation-protective agents have been carried out.
In August 2015, Hirosaki University was designated by the Nuclear Regulation Authority to establish two types of support centers- Advanced Radiation Emergency Medicine Support Center and Nuclear Disaster Medical Care/General Support Center, which will carry out nuclear disaster medical care during normal times and emergency times.
Our institute has been qualified as the core center on Environmental transfer and biological effects due to radionuclides together with University of Tsukuba, Center for Research in Isotopes and Environmental Dynamics (CRiED) by Ministry of Education, Cultures, Sports, Science and technology since 2018.
Institutions of Concluded Agreements and Memorandums of Understanding in Radiation Emergency Medicine and Radiation Research
- ・National Radiation Emergency Medical Center, Institute of Radiological & Medical Sciences (Korea) January 2013
- ・University of Pannonia (Hungary) March 2013
- ・Key Laboratory of Natural Resources of Changbai Mountain & Functional Molecules, Ministry of Education of Yanbian University (China) June 2013
- ・Institute for Nuclear Science and Technology, Vietnam Atomic Energy Institute (Vietnam), November 2013
- ・Department of Physics and Electronic Information Science, Hengyang Normal University (China) November 2014
- ・Philippine Nuclear Research Institute (Philippine) June 2015
- ・National Institute for Radiological Protection (China) May 2016
- ・Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Chiang Mai University (Thailand) May 2016
- ・Dongnam Institute of Radiological and Medical Sciences (Korea) June 2016
- ・Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University（Thailand）January 2017
- ・Institute Environmental Radioactivity , Fukushima University December 2017
- ・Radiation Medicine And Interdisciplinary Sciences, Soochow University, China（China）May 2018
- ・The Faculty Of Science, Kasetsart University (Thailand) October 2018
- ・Atomic Energy Centre, Dhaka(AECD) Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission (Bangladesh) October 2018
- ・Faculty Of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University (Thailand) December 2018
- ・Institute of Radiation Medicine, Fudan University (China) March 2019
- ・Centre for Advanced Research in Enviromental Radioactivity (CARER),Mangalore University（India）August 2019
- ・Faculty of Physics and Engineering, University of Strasbourg（France）October 2019
- ・INSTITUTE OF NUCLEAR APPLIED TECHNOLOGY, EAST CHINA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY (CHINA) September 2020